Block # 1 is complete in my current crazy quilting project.
If you are just joining me for this series, I previously talked about using my collection of old embroidered tablecloths, runners and handkerchiefs.
For years I collected odds and ends of embroidered items. I had a number of tablecloths and small embroidered doilies, enough to fill two bins. When I downsized several years ago, I spent quite a bit of time sorting through my accumulated stash of stuff. I knew I would not have space in the new house, so it was a good time to purge. As I had picked up most of these embroidered pieces in thrift stores, many had holes or were stained. I cut out the good parts that I knew I could use and discarded the rest.
When I started to sew the blocks I attempted to include either a handkerchief or embroidered bit in each one. You will see this in the upper left hand corner of the block. I tea stained this piece as it was not in the best of shaped and stitched in place with beads in the scallops.
I have mentioned many times before that I always like to include a button cluster. They are a great way to use up your button collection. I included a small charm as well as a sequin butterfly.
The lace in the lower right is overlaid which I did not embellish in any way since it already has a floral motif pattern. The lace on the left seam was hand-dyed. Since I included an embroidered polyester fabric (blue with beige embroidery) I did not feel the need to embellish this area further.
I have left the purple silk on the left hand side free of any stitching purposely. I like to have my crazy quilts machine quilted once complete. I am lucky to have a very talented long arm quilter who is up to the challenge! Tess will fill in this area with some machine quilting.
That’s it for Block #1.