My new CRAZY QUILTING project, Black Butterflies Block #1 completed. I thought you might like to see the entire block so here it is.
It took me some time getting used to working with this very bold colour palette. Since the palette is entirely different from my last project, it has provided the opportunity to add various elements in my stash I had not been able to use previously. Many of these were simply too colourful or bold for previous palettes. So, lots of bold and colourful embellishments.
I made the mistake a number of years ago of dyeing a large selection of cotton flowers I had picked up in fairly bold colours. I do wish I had kept some so I could dye these in more subtle variations for other projects – next time!
I am happy with the results and feel it is a well balanced block. Love the hexie mother of perle buttons, another stash that I want to use more of. Added some bead dangles to these. I think the buttonhole half pinwheels turned out well with the different colour combinations and different threads. The lace trim was a bit tricky to figure out how to stitch so I kept it simple with only minor embellishing. I like the way the butterfly stands out in the center with no embellishing – sometimes fabrics just work well. I used many of my hand dyed embroidery threads but also some that I have purchased through the years. The block measures 8″ square. Onto Block #2!
Please remember that you can find all the posts relating to this project under Crazy Quilting – Black Butterflies in the right sidebar.