MY WAY – this is Square “D” in my version of Carolyn Mitchell’s pattern.
Square “D” was the first of the three squares I chose to stitch which proved quite challenging (sigh). I mentioned a couple of days ago that I chose an eggshell 18 mono canvas and after stitching this decided to paint the canvas for the other two squares. You can see a tiny bit of the eggshell showing through which I did not want hence the choice of painting. Naturally, this is all about personal preference. Secondly, you will likely see this has no border – WELL – I did stitch it but messed up the corners so photographed it without the border. I do not like ripping out basketweave – no no no!!! SO not sure what I will do with this but hopefully the finisher will have some ideas.
I stitched the dark purple gobelin initially with a lighter value and found I did not think it “framed” the central star shape well SO changed it to a darker value which I think looks better. I also like the addition of one row of Kreinik 1/16″ ribbon – a bit of sparkle. The laid areas (small squares of lattice) – I used my flat ribbon in these areas which would not be my choice again. It proved difficult as it was too thick for this sort of stitch – lesson learned. I would likely opt for Neon Rays or something similar next time.
So, tomorrow I will share my final thoughts and show you all three squares together. 🙂