During the time I was stitching my Rainforest Crunch needlepoint project, I had a “practice” canvas framed up where I would experiment a bit. Something similar to a doodle cloth allowing me the option to test out either a stitch or a colour combination. As I started to use it more I realized I wanted to expand this idea further and in particular, I wanted to experiment not only with colours but with needlepoint stitches. I’ve had Jo Ippolito Christensen’s book for some time but I’ve never used it before. Well my journey began!
This is what I came up with. The project measures about 6 1/2 x 6 inches (small) and is stitched on 18 count canvas with my hand dyed perle cottons in size 5. It was a great way to make use of all those “bits” of threads, most of these measured less than 2 meters and many less than 1 meter. I had no plan, totally random and simply opted to start in one corner and work from there. I used Jo’s book, chose a stitch I wanted to learn and stitched with the amount of thread I had in the particular colour way. It was really fun to do AND the bonus is that I learned A LOT of new needlepoint stitches. A great project to use up left over threads and canvas! AND, this has given me MORE IDEAS too… I now have a new idea for a project in the works 🙂 Only a few sleeps left now until Christmas 🙂 You can find all my hand dyed threads in the shop!