Another area of Block #1 in my new CRAZY QUILTING project – Black Butterflies. I have mentioned previously that I generally work on one medium size crazy quilt project annually. This year I chose a completely different colour combination from last year in a bold primary colour palette. You can find all the other posts pertaining to this project under “Black Butterflies” in the right sidebar under Categories.
I stitched a herringbone stitch as the base of the seam treatment in the top right in a size 8 perle cotton. I added double detached chain, again in perle cotton but a solid colour for contrast. I added three French knots in decreasing sizes to the center of the detached chains and small sequins to the other side of the herringbone.
I have been wanting to use my bow charms for ages but they did not seem to work anywhere previously. I created hearts using 6 strand floss back stitched. I used Sharon Boggon’s fabulous crazy quilt templates to create the heart shape. If you are not familiar with these templates please check them out – they are great! You can find them HERE.
The bottom seam treatment are straight stitches in both perle cotton and metallic machine thread (very fine). I added detached chains to the tops and Kreinik ribbon to fill in the center of these. A round flat bead was placed at the base of each.
This completes Block #1. I’ll be sharing the entire block next time.
It is our Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada so I will be taking a short blog break returning to posting on Wednesday October 11th. Wishing my fellow Canadians a Happy Thanksgiving. The shop remains open for those of you who wish to shop.