Another area of Block #1 in my new CRAZY QUILTING project – Black Butterflies. I have mentioned previously that I generally work on one medium size crazy quilt project annually. This year I chose a completely different colour combination from last year in a bold primary colour palette. You can find all the other posts pertaining to this project under “Black Butterflies” in the right sidebar under Categories.
Once my blocks are sewn together I always lay out my trims, laces, braids next. The center seam treatment is an embroidered ribbon I have had for some time but it was far too bold for last year’s crazy quilt. I love how it worked well with this colour palette. I tacked this in place with some size 8 perle cotton and repeated the zig zag shape below the ribbon followed by the addition of French knots in a rayon thread for a bit of sheen.
I have had the flowers in the lower left of the photo for some time and sadly I made the mistake of dyeing ALL of them at once. They have not worked well with any of my previous CQ projects so especially delighted they worked here. I stitched straight stitches using perle cotton and the centers are brads used in scrapbooking. Love using brads!! The stems are stem stitch using silk perle. Once I had completed this area I found the background a bit bland so I stitched metallic seed beads randomly. I think it brings it all together.
Could you envision any of these seams created using my new Fall Collection – I could! Have a great weekend.